One of Israel's Largest and oldest mosques, Al-Jazzar Mosque also known as the White Mosque, located in the city of Acre, was set alight after a fault with electrical wiring in an air conditioning unit. The fire began on Sunday evening, 31st July, due to a faulty air conditioning unit in the women's section of the mosque. The fire quickly spread and caused damage to the exterior of the building.
it's reported by The Times of Israel that the blaze required seven firefighting units to help tackle. The fire was so big that locals were being asked to aid in the fire teams efforts to put out the blaze.
Unfortunately, even with the combined efforts of the locals and the firefighter crews, the raging fire caused severe damage to the mosque. It hasn't been reported as to whether the mosques damages can be fixed or if the historic site will need to be rebuilt.
Israel: Photo, Massive fire destroys Acre mosque, no injuries, cause electrical short pic.twitter.com/2CFnbgfiKY— Yiddish News (@YiddishNews) July 31, 2016
The Al-Jazzar mosque is seen only second to Al Aqsa mosque as one of the most important mosques in the highly turbulent country of Israel. The mosque was built in 1781 on top of remnants of previous churches and mosques as well as other buildings belonging to the crusaders.
It is reported that relations in Acre between Muslim and Jewish residents are good, there was very little thought of the fire to be arson.
One person was injured and required medical assistance due to smoke inhalation after the fire was put out.